Monday, March 22, 2010

Honey Whole Wheat Bread


*Update: I used to make 6 loaves but find that 5 loaves works better with my bread pans. I used to put sunflower seeds in it, but we now prefer cracked wheat instead. I also experimented a bit with the whole wheat to white flour ratio and have adapted my recipe to what we now prefer. *

This is the bread recipe that I use most often. It has always turned out for me and tastes delicious. It is modified from a recipe I saw on a website about a year ago. The crust is crispy/chewy and the bread is very soft. I make 5 loaves every 2 weeks or so.

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

2 Tbsp yeast
1 tsp white sugar
1/2 cup warm water
3 1/2 additional cups warm water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 Tbsp lemon juice
7 cups whole wheat flour
4 cups (approx.) white flour (enough so that dough no longer sticks to sides of bowl)
1/4 cup flax seed
1/4 cup cracked wheat
4 tsp salt

Directions. In a small bowl dissolve the yeast and sugar in the 1/2 cup of warm water. In Bosch, mix 3 1/2 cups warm water, honey, molasses, oil, eggs, and lemon juice. Mix well. Add yeast mixture and stir. Gradually add 5 cups whole wheat flour, beating well after each addition. Add the flax and cracked wheat. Stir well. Let this mixture stand 15 minutes until mixture is very light. Stir in salt and the rest of the flour until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Knead 10-15 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Put into a large greased bowl and cover. Let rise in the oven with light on until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down and shape into 5 balls. Form into loaves, placed in greased loaf pans, and let rise covered in oven with light until until doubled. Bake at 375 F for 25-35 minutes - until bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

sounds yummy! can't wait to try this.
-Lisa

Roxanne said...

OH MY! That does sound good.

I'll have to give it a try and see if I can have the same good results that you've had.

I will have to reduce the amounts, though. I don't have a mixer (though getting one is so much on my mind that I've started to dream about it LOL!)

Thank you for posting this.

DONNA said...

Hey Jenna,
Sounds yummy. I have made bread once or twice and I have also made some cinnamon raisin bread which is so yummy. I made them in a bread mixer but I don't let them bake in there because I don't it coming out like a square as the container is shaped like a square so I bake them in the oven but anyway would this same recipe work in a bread maker because I don't have a mixer although I wish I did but they can be expensive. Hopefully I will be able to get one in the near future. That would be good.
Donna

Tasha said...

Jenna, do you poke holes in it at all? What do you do with the other loaves--freeze them? If so, do you slice before you freeze or when you thaw them out?

Jenna said...

Tasha,
I don't poke holes in the loaves. The only thing I do like that is punch it down after the first rise. I freeze the extra loaves, and they freeze very well. Just let it thaw out on the counter or in the microwave. I usually don't slice before I freeze, but I'm sure you could if you want.I'll be posting a tutorial for making this bread in the next few days!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...